Monday, April 19, 2010

California Eatin'

My company sent me to Southern California for two weeks for training. Of course, I have to eat while I’m out here. I wanted to try out the different places out here that I wouldn’t get to see or eat at when I got back east. So, I tried to stay away from places like McDonald’s and T.G.I. Friday’s (although, I’m planning on going to Friday’s tonight). Since I’ve only got three more days after today, I thought I would give my opinion on what I’ve tasted thus far. Besides, I know when I get back everyone will ask me about the food.

First there was Big B’s Barbeque in Fullerton, CA. The first night I was in California I ordered delivery from here. I got the BBQ Pork Sandwich with fries and some cans of soda. The sandwich was kind of small but really really good. They serve it with a pickle which, I think, is always a good accompaniment to BBQ. I liked it so much that I decided to go down to the restaurant on my fifth night. I thought it was a big sit-down restaurant. When I got there, though, it was like a small pizza shop. There were two small tables with two chairs a piece. There was a table that stretched the length of one wall with about four stools, but the kitchen was much bigger than the dining area. I had a BBQ beef sandwich that night. While the food was good, it was a place that was better to order take out or delivery from. You can check them out at http://www.bigbsbbq.com/.

Breakfast was served by the Marriott Residence Inn of Placentia. I had the raisin bran most mornings. That should tell you something when the choices included scrambled eggs, waffles, sausage and oatmeal. All staples. But, although one should never pass up a free meal, I wasn’t that thrilled with my breakfast options. In addition to the raisin bran, I also settle on one of the small muffins and, today, some bacon.

The first full day I broke down and ate lunch at the Wendy’s in Brea. It was close, within walking distance, and cheap. ‘Nuff said. This was my lunch of choice for a good portion of my trip.

That night was more delivery. I wasn’t up to heading out despite asking the group in my office who last went out to California for training. This time I got Ruby’s in Fullerton. I got their bacon cheeseburger. Let me say that, in most instances if there is a good burger to be had, it will be had by me. It was a good burger that came with fries and I ordered a side of buffalo chicken strips. What made the burger was the “Ruby Sauce”. It was kind of like thousand island dressing. I think I would eat there again. Checked them on the web and turns out it’s a diner set up like a classic 50’s place that looks pretty good. Look them up at http://www.rubys.com/.

The next night I tried what I heard was a California fast food icon, Jack-In-The-Box. Got the Homestyle Ranch Chicken sandwich. It was okay, but still fast food. It had the benefit of being cheap. http://www.jackinthebox.com/.

Day four. Everyone told me to visit this place. From people at the office to my cousin, Jeff. In-N-Out Burger. Went to the one in Placentia for lunch with the two other’s in my training class. This place is a franchise fast-food place, too. Sells basically two things: burgers and shakes. They must do pretty well, because they are all over! The burgers are very good and the shakes are thick. But, I guess I was hoping to have an epiphany of sorts when I took my first bite based on all the hype. The burgers are huge and dripping with tasty juices. Fries there are good, too. Would I eat there again? Definitely. But I guess I was expecting something extra-ordinary about the burgers. See them at http://www.in-n-out.com/.

That night I was glad that I had saved some cash on lunch. I tried Lucille’s Smokehouse BBQ in Brea on East Imperial Highway, http://www.lucillesbbq.com/. I didn’t know that this was a chain restaurant at the time. When I got there it was packed! I had to wait thirty minutes for a seat for one! I’m glad I waited. The service was great and the people friendly. They had plenty of huge flat screen televisions with a multitude of games on, a must have for a steakhouse if you ask me. I ordered the smokehouse BBQ burger and a beer to wash it down. This burger was huge, too, just the way I like ‘em. I wish they had a location in Jersey. The outdoor seating would be awesome to take the wife on warm summer night.

Skipping to the weekend, I headed to Hollywood. No, I didn’t see any movie stars unless you count the ones on the Walk of Fame. After traipsing through Tinsel Town and before heading to see the gates of Paramount Studios and the La Brea Tar Pits, I settled down for a burger at Mel’s Drive-In. Just like Ruby’s, Mel’s was set up like a 50’s diner. Even had photos from movies like Diner and American Graffiti. It was just off the Hollywood Museum which I had visited earlier that day. There was a doorway connecting the two. It took a while for someone to notice that I wasn’t being helped, but once this waiter came over he made sure that I got what I needed. While I was waiting I had chance to see the specials placard on the table advertising the $12 burger (I wasn’t even given a menu when I got there). The burger came out fast piping hot. I got it with bacon. I think it was the lunch special of the “Famous Melburger”. It was 1/3 lb. burger with the bacon cooked inside the burger, topped with melted cheese (not a cold slice of cheese placed on top afterward – melted cheese!). Four locations in Northern Cali and four in Southern Cali. Wish they were in New Jersey. You can see them at http://www.melsdrive-in.com/.

That night I had dinner out at the Grill Boy in Fullerton. It was an odd bird. It looked like a small restaurant or diner from the outside. Inside it is set up like a fast-food joint. You belly up to the front counter and order from the menu boards up over the counter. They had a big list of choices. I ordered the chicken fajitas (had to have Mexican in Cali at least once) and after I paid, they give you a number to place at the end of your table. You can sit anywhere that’s free and they bring your food out to you. There were two waitresses who came around asking if everything was okay and clearing tables. The fajitas were good, especially the red, green and yellow peppers. Inexpensive, but was hoping for more. http://www.grillboy.com/.

Yesterday I took a trip to Santa Monica. Can you say EXPENSIVE? That’s the impression you get as soon as you enter the city. The food choices arranged from restaurants with open fronts and indoor and outdoor seating and hostesses who seem like sentinels waiting to tell you it will take forever for you to get a seat; or places like McDonald’s. Luckily I found a Hooter’s on a corner near the parking garage where I left my car. I’ve never been in one before and was pleasantly surprised. There were families there and HUGE TV’s with every game on at that time. I imagine all Hooter’s are the same, with the bar and tables around. The waitresses take your order and slide it across zip lines strung over head over the whole restaurant to the grill in the back. I got a buffalo chicken sandwich. This thing was a monster! Wasn’t dripping with buffalo sauce like I was hoping, but I was definitely not hungry anymore. If you don’t know how to find the website for this place, guys, I’d be shocked, but here it is just in case: http://www.hooters.com/.

That night I asked the front desk of the hotel for recommendations for a good place to eat. Didn’t want anything fancy and they recommended two places: T.G.I. Friday’s and Heroes Bar & Grill of Fullerton on West Santa Fe Ave. I was a little wary about this place for some reason. It wasn’t anything except jitters about spending another dinner out alone. This place is off the highway in a shopping area called Roco’s. It is the iconic family owned sports bar & grill. I wish this place was back home. My waiter was this big guy who looked like he was the bouncer. He had a fun and open attitude that was contagious. I wish I knew his name, because if you go I’d tell you to tip him big. He was that good. I got this burger called the Hero Burger. It was bigger than huge and wrapped in paper. It was topped with thousand island dressing which I loved! Of course, I had it with bacon on an onion roll and a huge pickle on the side. Plus, the games were on all over and the place was hopping! I loved it! The people all around were all having a great time and I wished I was with family or friends. Check this place out: http://heroesrestaurant.com/.

Being the end of my only weekend in California, I decided to stay out a little late. Went to Angel’s Sports Bar & Grill. Great place with a great bar. The bartender was actually from New York, so I got a little taste of home in addition to a few beers and a couple shots. Again, the games were on. There were two pool tables and I was wishing I had my friends with me. I’d love to play pool with Walter, Luis or Ryan. Nice little place in Anaheim that was tucked out of the way and I found with a query to my GPS. If you go, Lana is great and will take care of you. Tip her well and tip the bartender, too. She said she is only there for a few months more because she longs for the east coast. I’m with her. California is great, but Jersey is home.

Lastly, today I had lunch at Fatburgers on the advice of my instructor. It is a California franchise. They are all over and I went to the one in Brea. You get to pick your size of burger from small to XXXL. They even have a thing were they see if you can eat their “Triple King” burger. You get a certificate if you finish it and your pic on the wall. I am soo tempted. I may die of a coronary, but I will be stuffed and happy. It was a heaped with toppings including mayo on a toasted bun. They have to wrap it in paper to keep it from toppling over or falling apart before you can eat it. Established in 1952 and it keeps the feel of that era complete with the music. They can be found at http://www.fatburger.com/ and all over the country. They are even in Atlantic City! I am a Fatburger fan!

Now, after all this talk of food, I am going to go eat!

No comments: